Friday, June 27, 2008

ubuntu studio boot load hang

I attempted installation of Ubuntu Studio a few days ago after reading how it's meant more for multimedia developer like i am. Didn't turn out good... the system itself is good, just that it always hang at the load screen with the fancy Ubuntu Studio loading bar.

Turning off the quiet mode of the load screen i figured the error came about at "saving VESA state". There goes again my crappy S3 chipset graphic card. Funny there is no problem with this when i boot into recovery mode and opt for "resume normal boot". My best guess this has something to do with the fancy splash screen itself, something with it conflict with my fancy ancient 32MB graphic card. Solution? I have not figured a perfect one, so this is what i did:

Type the following command in terminal:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down and you will see your Grub boot option listed, something like this:

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19-rt
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-rt root=UUID=31776be7-f8c0-4849-b3b8-157ab157bc7a ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-rt
quiet


Just delete the following words: quiet, splash
and comment out the last line in the section by adding "#"

It will turn out like this:

title Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19-rt
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-rt root=UUID=31776be7-f8c0-4849-b3b8-157ab157bc7a ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-19-rt
#quiet


The load for the selected (edited) Grub loader option will then be in verbose mode. No more fancy loading bar, but at least now it works!

2 comments:

ARESSU said...

Thanks man I really had a problem with the boot on mi pc, always I needed to run from recovery mode and select resume reeboot... so thank you, and excuse me for my english I'm from Colombia.
Thanks a Lot

Ronald Chua said...

My pleasure to be of help to you :)